Saturday, March 5, 2016

Dear Mom with the Teenage Daughter

Dear Mom with the Teenage Daughter:

You're cooler than you think you are.  I know your daughter is looking at you and telling you how unfair you are.  I know she's rolling her eyes at you and crossing her arms when you tell her "no."  I know she's giving you smart ass remarks for everything and can't seem to say anything nice some days.  Believe me, I know.

I just want you to know that it's going to be okay.  You're going to make it through this. 

I know you're thinking back, remembering when your precious daughter came into this world.  She played with her dolls and sang Disney Princess songs.  She had such a sweet countenance.  Then the hormones kicked in and she became less "Sleeping Beauty" and more "Malificent."  She began breathing fire and started hating everything that you did.

Let me let you in a secret.....you're cooler than you think you are.

As the matter of fact, she's likely desperately trying to avoid admitting that her friends adore you.  It's okay to discipline her.  It's okay to tell her "no."  It's okay that she thinks you're unfair.  It means you're doing your job.  Keep it up mama.  Keep your chin up.

Spend a minute every day giving her a kiss on the top of her head and then prepare yourself for the deep sigh.  It's gonna get better.  She has to move out sometime.

Sincerely,
A Fellow Mom Surviving It

No comments:

Post a Comment