Sunday, May 22, 2016

The risks of a Mirena IUD

3 years ago, today, I had a hysterectomy done at 32 years of age.  The question of why has a very simple answer: my IUD perforated my uterus, lodged itself in a cluster of blood vessels and couldn't be removed without taking my whole uterus with it.  There are thousands, maybe millions of people who have had these Mirena IUDs and had absolutely no problems at all with them.  In fact, there are some that say that they have lighter periods or no periods at all...as if that is the only thing that is being treated with birth control.  I wish I had done more research when I got mine but I can honestly say that being part of that 1% honestly makes me fear for the other 99% out there.  I can honestly say that this is just an opinion-based piece and I would never tell anyone which method of birth control to choose.  With that said, here are some statistics.....

*While you have your IUD, it is still possible (though HIGHLY unlikely) to become pregnant.  If you do become pregnant, doctors have to remove the baby immediately.  If they don't, you are at risk for a septic abortion, meaning your uterus becomes septic (toxic) to both you and your baby.

*Having a Mirena duringa pregnancy (again, highly unlikely but not impossible) can result in miscarriage, and often does.  It can also cause premature delivery and sepsis.

*Half of pregnancies that occur with a Mirena are ectopic.  What this means is that the pregnancy occurs outside of the uterus, more specifically in the fallopian tubes.  These pregnancies are extremely dangerous and, often, result in necessary surgery and sometimes being infertile.

*Within 3 weeks of getting the Mirena IUD inserted, you can get PID (pelvic inflammatory disease).

There is a lawsuit against Bayer saying that they didn't make users amply aware of the risks of the Mirena IUD migrating  and/or perforating the uterus.  Please, please, please do your research before getting one of these.  Check out reputable websites and make certain that you're willing to accept the risks.  Believe me, it can happen.

These facts were listed from drugwatch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment